looks like xbox is tring to make MCO live again

i stop looking for links about mco and i find this

looks like im going to have to buy an xbox now

good bye EA and piss on u EA

Calabrio
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Calabrio » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:20 am

move on...

The game was a money sink, it wasn't making money.
You can't spite them for ending it, it wasn't a profitable pursuit.

However, they did give us six months warning.
They did give us a free game.
And the 'Devs' were active in the community-
hell, a few of them still frequent this board, and they hired one of the board members!

I'm glad the game came out. I'm glad it brough an interesting community of people together.

It's insane to let it upset you, especially so long after the fact. EA produces some good games, denying them is only spiting yourself.

timbuc40k
MB Janitor

Post by timbuc40k » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:12 am

I am sorry that is bs how can u say mco was a loser money wise, that is bs hell even ea wouldn't sell the rights, how come ea didn't sell it if it was such a loser, come on now don;t believe the EA BS

timbuc40k/stoner/hammered from uptown

LtoidKing
Majic Bus GOD

Post by LtoidKing » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:02 am

:-| Hooo boy, I can see this one going downhill FAST.

This IS a case of simple economics.

When:
(Cost to run) > (Income)
You start LOSING money.

MCO was losing money big time, because all the L337 players could never figure out how to drive and cancelled their subscriptions. As has been rehashed in different threads and on MCOMOD forums, EACH SERVER had an INITIAL cost of $500K, making for $2 mil just for purchase price. If my memory serves me right, they had to replace one if not two of them throughout the course of the game.

That would have been fine, but when:
(New Subscribers) < (Cancelled Subscriptions)
The game starts getting less of a good idea to the company.

While a good experiment, and an awesome community builder, MCO was AT BEST a white elephant in the eyes of the people who made the decisions at EA.

As for not selling the rights? Have you ever lived in an apartment and asked permission to paint your walls? Seems like an awesome idea to you, but your landlord will give you a hardy "NO". Wonder why? Because it's THEIRS, and you painting the walls takes it out of their control.

:-| Man, I guess it was time for a rant.

Da_Rev
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Da_Rev » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:43 pm

Calabrio wrote:move on...
They did give us a free game..
You know, I never did get my free game. Now I didn't fill out the paperwork to get one, I was content just to finish out MCO. I do miss it.

I'm hoping they kept the rights so they could do something with it later.

and you know, "IT'S LATER!!!"

I think it would go now really I do.

Satchmo
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Satchmo » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:48 pm

I miss it quite a bit but that's because I know there won't ever be another one that's nearly all vintage iron. Most of em just throw in a token old car or two and that just doesn't "git it" for me.

So I'm doing my best to build up a garage of MCO OFFLINE. :lol:

Da_Rev
Majic Bus GOD

Hmm...

Post by Da_Rev » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:50 pm

You know when I get my shop built I think I'm going back ever further to Porsche Unleashed.

I got a line on a couple of 914s in my area. I need to chase them down and see if he will part with one.

timbuc40k
MB Janitor

Post by timbuc40k » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:23 pm

U had people who offered to host MCO for free to EA and EA still said no hell even some said they would host for a fee and the rest would go to EA they still said no

Never again will I support EA products take a flying leap u sorry _ _ _ company of crappy rushed products.

Timbuc40k/stoner/hammered from uptown may we never forget how bad EA screwed us by offering us a free game oh wait that was a subscription based game they offered us, Hmm what a surprise, oh wait they even canned the game they offered us but yet they host NFSU 1 and 2 servers free at the time those games were popular,

Now who is getting screwed????

LtoidKing
Majic Bus GOD

Post by LtoidKing » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:33 pm

Timbuc, do you realize that Yikes (the DEV) made a serious offer to EA to buy the game in the amount of $2mil? Do you also know their response was basically to laugh in his face?

Giving it away is nowhere in their minds. If you can come up with the approx. $10 mil or so they would want for it, and I'll be glad to pay you $20 a month.

As it is, it's gone. We all had some GREAT memories of the game, but life has gone on. Enjoy it for a change!

TheFireman
MB Senior Member

Post by TheFireman » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:19 pm

What you don't realize is the code for the game is based around the NFS code. Therefore, if they sold the MCO code they would also be throwing in some of the NFS code.....Doesn't make much sense to sell something that they still develop does it?!?

timbuc40k
MB Janitor

Post by timbuc40k » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:12 am

I doubt they still use NFS code it is outdated if that was the case why did they at first say to yikes that they would but then they decided against it, they said some bs story about it I forget exactly what they said if someone knows where the story is go read it and then tell me they aren't scumbags

Timbuc40k/stoner/hammered from uptown

aqua

Post by aqua » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:43 am

What is so god damn hard to understand for some people?

It was a tiny part of a large corporate entity that lost alot of money. Therefore, they cut it off before it could lose more.

Are you going to tell me that if you personally, had something that was losing you quite alot of money on a daily basis that you had no vested interest in keeping you'd keep it because it would make other people happy?

I tell you what, go buy a house, and I'll rent it from you and pay you $50 rent a month. It'll make me happy. If you don't do it, you're just as cold and heartless as EA, I guess.

BASTARD!

Satchmo
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Satchmo » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:48 am

STFU Aqua, before I take you out on the Spillway and school your ass using a rust bucket Nomad!!!! :twisted:

aqua

Post by aqua » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:59 am

Satchmo wrote:STFU Aqua, before I take you out on the Spillway and school your ass using a rust bucket Nomad!!!! :twisted:
A nomad.... schooling me .... on the spillway??? BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!

Ummmmm, this one time ..... Bump took a pink from me on Spillway. I think we were running Slowpoke Muscle E's and my Roadrunner didn't make the turn as tight as the 40 couple used to and I got stuck. :oops:

timbuc40k
MB Janitor

Post by timbuc40k » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:09 pm

if EA was losing money why did some people offer to host for free, come on that is total bs, EA can bite me, I will not support them again, sorry that is my opinion, I wouldn't feel this way if they just made a simple offline patch for us, but could they no they basically told us to deal with it and here is anohter game with a subscription, then they release crap like NFSU and NFSU 2 which by the way I played but didn;t waste my hard earned cash, well I guess back to waiting for Forza

TImbuc40k/stoner/hammered from uptown

Calabrio
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Calabrio » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:06 pm

timbuc40k wrote:if EA was losing money why did some people offer to host for free, come on that is total bs, EA can bite me, I will not support them again, sorry that is my opinion, I wouldn't feel this way if they just made a simple offline patch for us, but could they no they basically told us to deal with it and here is anohter game with a subscription, then they release crap like NFSU and NFSU 2 which by the way I played but didn;t waste my hard earned cash, well I guess back to waiting for Forza

Seriously, what part of the logic are you having trouble with?

Do you think the game was profitable, and EA ended it just to spite you?

And they didn't give a free "subscription" game away, they were giving ANY game in the EA catalog. I personally got a copy of Battlefield 1942 for free. No subscription costs associated with that game.

And NFSU are games that actually MADE MONEY- thus they released a second one.

It's o.k. to be passionate. I do question the logic in being passionate about a poorly implemented online game. But at least be rational about it.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:29 pm

timbuc40k wrote:if EA was losing money why did some people offer to host for free, come on that is total bs, EA can bite me, I will not support them again, sorry that is my opinion, I wouldn't feel this way if they just made a simple offline patch for us, but could they no they basically told us to deal with it and here is anohter game with a subscription, then they release crap like NFSU and NFSU 2 which by the way I played but didn;t waste my hard earned cash, well I guess back to waiting for Forza

im with you timbuc Screw EA Game I will not Buy a game from them I wish the CEO would steel all their money perge their systems and run off to some country like Brazil M.R

Calabrio
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Calabrio » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:31 pm

...So- if you were responsible for that game, I guess you would have permitted the game to continue to lose money.

And then what would they do- after you were fired?

LtoidKing
Majic Bus GOD

Post by LtoidKing » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:09 pm

<SIGH>

I vote we lock this thread... too much talking in circles.

Calabrio
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Calabrio » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:35 pm

LToidKing wrote:<SIGH>

If that's the case, they'll have to lock most of this forum.

TTB_Husker
MB Janitor

Post by TTB_Husker » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:21 am

I agree the game is dead....move on

Satchmo
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Satchmo » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:49 am

LToidKing wrote:<SIGH>

Would certainly apply to anything Nascar related, too. :lol:

Carter

Post by Carter » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:48 am

You know, I've known people who have lost family members and there who haven't mourned as badly as some people are over a video game.

As much as I hate bring Logic up, I think it's time some people faced some cold hard facts.

1) MCO was losing money. Now, you may clain "Nuh-uh, there is no way it was losing money cause it was a good game".....well sorry to deflate your ego pal, but the truth is, the game was a money loser. A company like EA isn't in the habit of closing down services that are making them money....and they aren't in a habit of keeping services which don't earn them money. Just some basic Economics 101 for you.

2) It was rather difficult (and costly) for EA to gain rights for the vehicles in the game. Yes, you heard me right....that costs money because video games companies have to buy licensing rights to digitally represent those cars, and use the companies logo and likeness. As difficult as it is to secure those rights, it would be neigh on impossible to TRANSFER those rights to a third party without said third party ALSO going through the approval process and paying the licensing fees. It's not as simple as "OMGWTF I'LL HOST IT ON MY DADDY'S DELL"

FlAwLeSS
MB Senior Member

Post by FlAwLeSS » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:04 am

Carter wrote:You know, I've known people who have lost family members and there who haven't mourned as badly as some people are over a video game.

As much as I hate bring Logic up, I think it's time some people faced some cold hard facts.

1) MCO was losing money. Now, you may clain "Nuh-uh, there is no way it was losing money cause it was a good game".....well sorry to deflate your ego pal, but the truth is, the game was a money loser. A company like EA isn't in the habit of closing down services that are making them money....and they aren't in a habit of keeping services which don't earn them money. Just some basic Economics 101 for you.

2) It was rather difficult (and costly) for EA to gain rights for the vehicles in the game. Yes, you heard me right....that costs money because video games companies have to buy licensing rights to digitally represent those cars, and use the companies logo and likeness. As difficult as it is to secure those rights, it would be neigh on impossible to TRANSFER those rights to a third party without said third party ALSO going through the approval process and paying the licensing fees. It's not as simple as "OMGWTF I'LL HOST IT ON MY DADDY'S DELL"

Well said Carter, and your right, it isn't as simple as "OMGWTF I'LL HOST IT ON MY DADDY'S DELL". From what I understand the server cost just over 500k each to keep running and to be maintained, with that said, how could the game of been "profitable"?

Capeless
MB Bartender

Post by Capeless » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:43 am

MCO Closed!!!! No wonder why I couldn't sell my 1 mill on ebay :roll:

Seriously though, haven't we already gone over this.. Say, over the past two years?

:lol: :lol: :lol: