Odd questions

Died: August 29th, 2003.......... RIP
MCODakota
Majic Bus GOD

Odd questions

Post by MCODakota » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:22 am

The last thing I want to do is start rumers or wild-ass speculations.....

I was sent an email the other day by EA. They wanted me to fill out a survey about the Need for Speed games.

Several questions were almost word for word secriptions of MCO. One specificly was "I perfer to play games that are Online Only."

They also asked about types of racing (illeagal street, track, etc) and how I felt about the award/level increase method. The type of car (tuner, euro, muscle, etc..) questions were also asked.

Dakota
Last edited by MCODakota on Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zardoz
MB Senior Member

Post by Zardoz » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:30 am

Sounds promising. Maybe Forza has 'em thinking down that road again.

Dietpop
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Dietpop » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:32 am

Or maybe the see what's going on with FlatOut and are realizing that we don't need EA anymore. So if they want to get our business back they need to really impress us.

LtoidKing
Majic Bus GOD

Post by LtoidKing » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:04 pm

Sodapop wrote:Or maybe the see what's going on with FlatOut and are realizing that we don't need EA anymore. So if they want to get our business back they need to really impress us.
Who is "us"? Us as in ex-MCO'ers? Us as in racing sim fans? EA doesn't NEED our business, they just WANT it. Us (whichever definition you choose) buying their games means extra money for them.

Zardoz
MB Senior Member

Post by Zardoz » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:12 pm

LToidKing wrote:
Sodapop wrote:Or maybe the see what's going on with FlatOut and are realizing that we don't need EA anymore. So if they want to get our business back they need to really impress us.
Who is "us"? Us as in ex-MCO'ers? Us as in racing sim fans? EA doesn't NEED our business, they just WANT it. Us (whichever definition you choose) buying their games means extra money for them.
I really think if they are probing for an MCO type of game again it's because all the TV advertizing for Forza (which would've really helped MCO out). Those are some pretty cool ads, they should appeal to a broad range of folks.

78bandit
MB Janitor

Post by 78bandit » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:16 pm

I think they are fine tuning the details in NFS: Most Wanted which is the next installment in the NFS series.

Muscle cars will be included, but don't know exactly which ones yet. Some details at nfscheats.com, but here is a teaser pic.

http://veilside.nfscheats.com/Misc/NFSMW_01.jpg

LtoidKing
Majic Bus GOD

Post by LtoidKing » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:32 pm

Is that a hydrogen plug where the gas cap should be?

aqua

Post by aqua » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:08 am

78bandit wrote:I think they are fine tuning the details in NFS: Most Wanted which is the next installment in the NFS series.
Well, maybe history can repeat itself and they can turn what was going to be a single player into an MMO again.... :D

Carter

Post by Carter » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:59 am

I've noticed a handful of racing games comming out are catering to more than type of Automotive Enthusiast.

For example, Midnight Club III has Muscle Cars, Import Tuners, Supercars, Motocycles, SUV's, and Luxury Cars. Back in 2000 when MCO was still in the development stage, it was being planned to be used as the Hub for all future games in the Need For Speed franchise (contrary to what the "purists" would have you believe, it was never intended to simply be an "old car" racing game....that is how it was initially released, but not what the long term plans for it were....if it had succeeded).

Satchmo
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Satchmo » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:40 am

On the one hand I would have been completely happy if MCO had been stand alone. On the other hand, part of what I enjoyed about MCO was finding really bad drivers like Worth and Caddy to inflate my race stats against ( :twisted: )and I probably would have stopped playing the game after a month or two if it had been stand alone.

Although if it HAD been standalone, I could still drive my 455 powered '55 Buick whenever I wanted to. :evil:

What I don't like about most racing games is even if they do add anything old, it's usually just a couple of token muscle cars and that's it. MCO had it all and that's what floated it for me. Quite honestly, that was the only reason I bought it in the first place.

aqua

Post by aqua » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:50 am

I always said it had nothing to do with the cars for me. I mean, I loved having the muscle, but I would've been just as happy with if it was the iMp0rtz from underground with the same concept.

A MMO, where I have to have some skill to compete, because I am competing directly (or indirectly was Time Trials) with others. I was NEVER a good racing game player, but I always enjoyed them. And to be able to fit the car to fit me. I mean... my setup's sucked if you ask 90% of the population. Because it fit how I drove. That's why being able to have "mastered" a track and know that on certain weeks nobody could touch my time was a real thrill.

I'll take any racing MMO that comes our way again. Flatout and the like won't do it for me. I like having the non-cheating environment. The fact that certain things are world dependent (auctions, special cars, etc) .

Zardoz
MB Senior Member

Post by Zardoz » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:53 am

Yeah, everything MCO was plus an offline "practice" mode where you run your car (even without any money or points gain) would be great!

Competing with real people in a world dependant environment (as aqua put it) was what really great!

Midtown Guy
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Midtown Guy » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:31 pm

with imports you will get Mr "1mp0rts 0wnS j00" and it will probably be true because EA likes the import kids more then the muscle car guys

Carter

Post by Carter » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:47 pm

Midtown Guy wrote:with imports you will get Mr "1mp0rts 0wnS j00" and it will probably be true because EA likes the import kids more then the muscle car guys
Speaking on a purely demographic level, the age group who are driving the Import Tuner Craze are generally the age group who pump the most money into the Video Game industry...so of course they are going to be catered to more than a group who only represents a very small percentage of overall video game sales.

Sonjeir
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Sonjeir » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:13 pm

the age group who are driving the Import Tuner Craze are generally the age group who pump the most money into the Video Game industry
I think you mean...

the parents of the age group who are driving the Import Tuner Craze are generally the group who pump the most money into the Video Game industry

Either way your right....my biggest fear because of that is the proliferation of console games, they may never replace PC games but they have definatley hurt them. I've seen a few games already that I would have loved to play if they had it on PC.

Ol'Blue
Global Moderator

Post by Ol'Blue » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:17 pm

I will probably never own a game console. My wife beotches enough now with just the PC games.

Zardoz
MB Senior Member

Post by Zardoz » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:58 pm

BlueStreak wrote:I will probably never own a game console. My wife beotches enough now with just the PC games.
Same here. But my kids have a PS2 and two Game Cubes. Now Forza (which sounds like the closest thing to MCO since MCO died) is coming out on XBOX. Hmmm, I'm thinking 'bout it...

Carter

Post by Carter » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:04 pm

Sonjeir wrote:
the age group who are driving the Import Tuner Craze are generally the age group who pump the most money into the Video Game industry
I think you mean...

the parents of the age group who are driving the Import Tuner Craze are generally the group who pump the most money into the Video Game industry
In some ways ok, but that stereotype isn't completely true anymore. Think about it, the kids who were 16-18 when The Fast And The Furious came out (and to be honest, Import Tuners have been around Kokomo a lot longer than that, I'm simply using that as the benchmark as to where most of the hatred comes from) are now in their early to mid 20's, and many of them actually have jobs and work and buy their own videogames.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:27 pm

Carter wrote:I've noticed a handful of racing games comming out are catering to more than type of Automotive Enthusiast.

For example, Midnight Club III has Muscle Cars, Import Tuners, Supercars, Motocycles, SUV's, and Luxury Cars. Back in 2000 when MCO was still in the development stage, it was being planned to be used as the Hub for all future games in the Need For Speed franchise (contrary to what the "purists" would have you believe, it was never intended to simply be an "old car" racing game....that is how it was initially released, but not what the long term plans for it were....if it had succeeded).

That really kind of depends on at what point you look at it. My first exposier to this game was in an EA pamphlet that i got with The Sims, then it was an offline game called "Need for speed: Hot Rods".

Are you suggesting that they were trying to "morph" all the NFS games into one online game?

I honestly wouldnt have minded that at all...

**EDIT**

You'd think that with all my interest in photography that i'd be able to spell exposure properly :roll:
Last edited by Guest on Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carter

Post by Carter » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:39 pm

TQ wrote:
Carter wrote:I've noticed a handful of racing games comming out are catering to more than type of Automotive Enthusiast.

That really kind of depends on at what point you look at it. My first exposier to this game was in an EA pamphlet that i got with The Sims, then it was an offline game called "Need for speed: Hot Rods".

Are you suggesting that they were trying to "morph" all the NFS games into one online game?

I honestly wouldnt have minded that at all...
That was the original plan...each new NFS Game would have been like an expansion pack.

TurbOMatT
MB Bartender

Post by TurbOMatT » Sat May 07, 2005 6:53 pm

I'd be all for another MCO-style game, even if it wasn't muscle cars... Although I do miss those muscle cars and the way we could build them up from scratch... I also dearly miss the very original tracks. They had some really fun layouts in that game.

Blah! It feels almost as bad as losing your first love! I want MCO back god damnit!

Caddy
MB Bar Patron

Post by Caddy » Sun May 08, 2005 10:58 am

That stupid survey. Did anyone besides me think that it was way too long and kinda corney?

Gears are always turning over here for the next big idea. So what if the idea was done in the past or not?

GonePostal
Majic Bus GOD

Post by GonePostal » Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 am

Cadillac wrote:... way too long and kinda corney?
My girlfriend used to say that about me.

anyway... I don't think I saw this one... but I think i remember one before NFS:U2 that was a lot longer than it needed to be... (?)

Mad Max
MB Janitor

Post by Mad Max » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:26 pm

I think EA is just fing with us. They dont need our money and dont give a sht. :evil:

LtoidKing
Majic Bus GOD

Post by LtoidKing » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:52 pm

Mad Max wrote:I think EA is just fing with us. They dont need our money and dont give a sht. :evil:
Because screwing your customers is good business?

Seems to me they must have been doing something right, because they still exist and grew to such a great size. You can't do that by squashing your customers, as they are the ones that sign the paychecks.