Dead Man's Loop - beta (for rFactor)

Died: August 29th, 2003.......... RIP
Sub
MB Bartender

Dead Man's Loop - beta (for rFactor)

Post by Sub » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:13 am

Finally finished up a version of Dead Man's Loop enough to call it 'beta'. Hell, i might even just call it finished and continue plugging away at the rest of Skoggit. I could polish this thing until i get old and die if i'm not careful, so this might be a good time to call it... i don't know.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wdL-UeE9qA[/youtube]

Notes and a download link here:
http://mcotracks.blogspot.com/

Anyway - it's fun and totally raceable in both directions. You get all of Dead Man's Run and Tornado flats with a little extra. You'll think you're racing on the original tracks - it's damn fun - i swear. Unlike MCO, you can plug in over 40 AI to race with. I've done up to 26 and it's insane. The AI aren't all that smart, but it's fun trying to get around them. If you've got rFactor and want to try some multiplayer racing, we'll probably give this track a run over on the MCOMOD board next Saturday.

If you don't have rFactor, there's a trial you can download from their site that might at least let you try out the track. I haven't done it myself, so i don't know if that'll work or not, but it's worth a try. rFactor is pretty damn SIM and can irritate you when you first get into it. A few tips:

- when you start a race, hit L, it'll turn of speed limiting.
- adjust the camera with the keypad keys.
- the antialiasing looks weird on some cards - i think i set mine to 4 to get it to look right. Higher looked like crap.
- you have to do a qualifying lap before the race actually starts (there might be a way around that)
- getting the MCOMOD is the right thing to do. Do the right thing. ;)
- some of the MCOMOD cars drive a little funny, but the Cobra and the 57 vette work pretty well right out of the shop. it's a highly moddable game in every sense, so if you can get into car tweaking, the sky's the limit.

Anyway, hopefully some of you can hook up with rFactor and check it out. It's in a pretty 'feel-good' state right now, so i highly recommend it.

~Sub
Last edited by Sub on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZER
Majic Bus GOD

Re: Dead Man's Loop - beta (for rFactor)

Post by ZER » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:27 am

Just looks up the cost on buying rFactor on DVD I must say I figured this game would be selling for around $60 with all the ways to mod it, was I pleasently shocked to see a $20 price tag.

I'll be ordering it VERY soon.

EP429
Majic Bus GOD

Post by EP429 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:17 pm

Need to pick it up once I get a new PC this fall, looks awesome Sub! Thank you for the dedication to rebuilding this

Sub
MB Bartender

Post by Sub » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:47 pm

Thanks guys! I just figured out a way for people to check out the track and mod free for an hour. If you're curious, try this:

- Download the rFactor v1255 Full Install from one of the sites here - it comes with a 60 minute free trial (1 gig download):
http://www.rfactor.net/index.php?page=downloads

- Grab the MCOMOD here (requires a login):
http://fatbob56.com/forum/mcomod/viewtopic.php?t=113

- Get the track here:
http://www.mcotracks.blogspot.com/

- Install rFactor, but don't run it (no need to until everything else is installed).

- Install the MCOMOD

- Install the track

- Run rFactor and get all your settings right. You'll have a 60 minute trial going, so you'll want to move fast. When you first start it up, you'll be asked to join a league - select MCOMOD.

- To get enough money to buy any car/parts you want, go to either Testing or Race Weekend and select the Dead Man's Loop track. Once the track loads and you're sitting in the "Monitor", type "ISI_BABYFACTORY" in the chat console and enter it. Once you've done that, back out to the Main Menu and you'll see your bank account go ape-shit. You can then buy any car with any upgrades you want. I suggest the Cobra - :)

- Once you've got your car and settings all squared away, you can go back to Testing or Race Weekend and race for the remainder of the hour.

Z28K
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Z28K » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:11 pm

DAMNIT! :-[smilie=wallbash.gif]

I keep getting this every time I try to run the track.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sub
MB Bartender

Post by Sub » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:42 pm

Hmmm - that's a weird one. Does the forward track work? I haven't heard of any errors just yet, but i'm not sure how many people have tried both directions. Maybe it got corrupted on download? I'll try some stuff and see if i can get the same error... bbl

Z28K
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Z28K » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:44 pm

Sub wrote:Hmmm - that's a weird one. Does the forward track work? I haven't heard of any errors just yet, but i'm not sure how many people have tried both directions. Maybe it got corrupted on download? I'll try some stuff and see if i can get the same error... bbl

Forward is same error as backwards. When you said install the track, you meant inserting the folders into the locations folder right?

Z28K
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Z28K » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:50 pm

On a side note, rfactor only has in-car views? Really?!? :-[smilie=wallbash.gif]

Sub
MB Bartender

Post by Sub » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:56 pm

That's sounds like it might be right - the MCO folder in the Locations folder and the tracks are in the MCO folder?

I've found that the file it's calling out is a texture file that sits in each of the track folders. I could try giving you just those files to overwrite the ones that are in there, but the fact that it chokes on the same file for each direction of the track makes me think they aren't corrupted. It might also be a graphics setting in the rFactor config program. Do you have it set to use dx9?

Sub
MB Bartender

Post by Sub » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:59 pm

Z28K wrote:On a side note, rfactor only has in-car views? Really?!? :-[smilie=wallbash.gif]
Haha - though rFactor has annoyed me in other ways, it actually has a good selection of camera views. I think they're all configureable under the regular in-game settings. I usually roll with swingman. You can tweak em in-game with the Home, PgUp key and arrow keys on the keypad. There's also a key that allows you to switch between views in-game, but i forget what it is.

Another good one to know is - hit the L key right after you start a race. It'll turn off speed limiting.

Z28K
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Z28K » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:05 pm

Sub wrote:That's sounds like it might be right - the MCO folder in the Locations folder and the tracks are in the MCO folder?

I've found that the file it's calling out is a texture file that sits in each of the track folders. I could try giving you just those files to overwrite the ones that are in there, but the fact that it chokes on the same file for each direction of the track makes me think they aren't corrupted. It might also be a graphics setting in the rFactor config program. Do you have it set to use dx9?

Nope, had no MCO folder. I just put your folders in the locations folder. So I added an MCO folder, and put the track files in there and it works now!

Track is awesome Sub! But this in car view is killin' me.

Sub
MB Bartender

Post by Sub » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:08 pm

Ahhh - i should probably be more explicit with my instructions. Good to know! :)

And it looks like i may have posted my last comment while you were writing yours. If you read up, you'll see some info on the camera views.

Z28K
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Z28K » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:26 pm

Swingman is what I needed. :-[smilie=thumbup.gif]

My 60 minute trial is up. Purchase price is $39.99? If I order the DVD from Zer's link for $19.99, does it come with a code or do I have to re-install and use the DVD?

Guess I am done racing for the night. :-[smilie=wallbash.gif]

Sub
MB Bartender

Post by Sub » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:44 pm

aww sheeeit. Well thanks for trying it out man! I don't know if you'd need to reinstall it or not if you pick up the dvd. I've actually been thinking of buying the dvd as well (i bought the download version). I've used up 4 of my 5 licenses and i kind of hate the way that crap works. I can hassle Trymedia for another set of licenses after i use the last one, but it's something i feel like i shouldn't have to do. ANNOYING!

It took about 6 months to get that loop done, but i learned a lot along the way and will probably be able to finish all of Skoggit in another 3 or 4 months. I've been going back and forth between Gas Town and Industrial for the next track, but i think i'm just going to settle on Industrial. It was my favorite track after Skoggit, so i think i'm just going to go for it. I'll have to learn some simple model building first, but it shouldn't be too tough.

If you do end up getting rFactor, the guys over at the MCOMOD board are pretty dependable for race nights on Saturday. I won't be around for a race night until the first Saturday in August, but i'll be around after that. It'd be awesome to get some races in on this bugger! :)

Z28K
Majic Bus GOD

Post by Z28K » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:50 pm

Sub wrote:aww sheeeit. Well thanks for trying it out man!

Well thank you for building it. I can't even explain how awesome it was to blast around on an MCO track again! :smt041

I'm gonna order the DVD and try and get my wheel working again. Hopefully be up and running for next weekend. Then I gotta work on some setups, and stop hitting that friggen curb by the gas station. :-[smilie=drunk.gif] :smt044

Sub
MB Bartender

Post by Sub » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:04 am

Z28K wrote:
Sub wrote:aww sheeeit. Well thanks for trying it out man!

Well thank you for building it. I can't even explain how awesome it was to blast around on an MCO track again! :smt041

I'm gonna order the DVD and try and get my wheel working again. Hopefully be up and running for next weekend. Then I gotta work on some setups, and stop hitting that friggen curb by the gas station. :-[smilie=drunk.gif] :smt044
Great to hear! It's shit-ton of work, but i get obsessed with it and it's hard to stop. I've been looking at modding possibilities in general for rFactor and it's pretty amazing. The game is a little lackluster just by itself, but there are some huge possibilities for modders. The car setups are especially deep and tweakable. I don't know what could come of it all, but i'm at least going to keep working on MCO tracks.

Sub
MB Bartender

Post by Sub » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:06 am

I've been thinking that i need to make some of those corners around the gas station a little more friendly. The invisible wall that's right up on those gas pumps sticks out a little further than it should and makes those corners kind of bastardly. It's definitely on the fix-list.

RE_Lee
MB Bar Patron

Post by RE_Lee » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:17 pm

On the topic of licenses - I'm not sure what's different but every time I reinstall after a system rebuild I get an email from trymedia telling me they're resetting my count. I've never gone past "one".